Declaration of the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran
And indeed, we have honored the human beings; and carried them on land and sea; and provided them the best things; and privileged them over most of our creations.
Holy Quran (17:70)
The great and wise people of Iran:
The contemporary history of Iran is a bright mirror of the aspirations and demands of the people of Iran. The history of more than one hundred years of the Iranian nation’s search for freedom and justice has witnessed glorious examples thereof, such as the Constitution Movement and the Islamic Revolution. Throughout the vicissitudes of this era, the people of Iran were seeking respect for human dignity and integrity, and realization of their rights. Durability of the legitimacy and authority of a state is guaranteed through the consent of its citizens and realization of their rights. In the words of Imam Ali (peace be upon him): “The Almighty God has considered rights of humankind as a basis for His own rights; therefore, respect of human rights will lead to upholding the rights of Almighty God.”
As the President has sworn to the Holy Quran before the Iranian nation to support righteousness and justice, and to protect freedom, human dignity and rights of the nation as enshrined in the Constitution:
- Relying on Almighty God, following the traditions of the Great Prophet and the Immaculate Imams, furthering the thoughts of the Great founder of the Islamic Revolution, and the insistence of the Supreme Leader on the nation as the benefactor and observing the rights of the people;
- Referring to the “Rights of the Nation” that have been clearly emphasized in the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and in view of the fact that the government is obliged to observe and realize the rights to life, enjoyment of human dignity, justice, freedom and descent life for all citizens of Iran, including both the Iranians residing inside the country and abroad, irrespective of gender, age, wealth, economic or physical, mental and psychological health status, socio-political tendency, lifestyle, religious belief, race, tribe or language;
- Whereas, citizens’ rights are founded on principles such as human dignity, preservation of the inalienable rights and freedoms, sovereignty of people, equal enjoyment of all people of human rights, prohibition of discrimination, and equal protection of all individuals of the nation under the law;
- Whereas, realization of civil rights and political freedoms, including freedom of thought, expression and access to information and exchange thereof, freedom of the press and media, right of criticism and expression of views and public scrutiny, right of residence and freedom of movement, right to hold the nationality, right to self-determination and right to good administration will be made possible by relying on the exercise of public suffrage through a sound, transparent and competitive election and free and fair referendum system; rights to form, administer, join and operate organizations, political parties and civil society associations and trade unions, right of free participation in assemblies and demonstrations is possible only through the commitment, responsibility and political will of the Government;
- Whereas, participation of people in social life is subject to enjoyment, without discrimination, of citizens of the right to benefit from a transparent and competitive economic system, right to property, right to housing, and rights to healthy nutrition and clean water, rights to comprehensive welfare and social security, health and treatment services, work and employment, training and higher education and participation in cultural life;
- Whereas, participation, cooperation and responsibility of individuals, groups and governments are required to realize the right to development, right to enjoy a healthy environment, right of cultural identity, right to peace and rejection of violence and hatred and right to communicate at national and international levels;
- Whereas, the Government considers its duty to cooperate with other State branches to ensure freedom and security for all citizens, access to justice and a fair trial, inviolability of privacy from any illegal intrusion, prohibition against eavesdropping, and illegal search and seizure, inquisition, illegal disclosure of information, arbitrary arrest, and any type of torture or forced testimony or confession; and to uphold principles of the presumption of innocence, nullum crimen sine lege (no crime without law), competence of the judicial forum for trying the charge, transparency of crimes and observance of the rights of accused persons and convicts, particularly in political and media crimes, right to trials that are fair, public and without discrimination and differentiation, with the right to retain or be afforded representation of counsel;
- Whereas, realization of citizens’ rights will not be possible without the awareness, capability and responsibility of citizens regarding rights, duties and public interests;
A. I hereby declare that the Government is resolute to take action, in collaboration with other State branches and governmental organs within the scope of their competencies, resources and capabilities, and within the framework of the Constitution, with respect of the following:
- To raise awareness, build capacity, promote public culture, and increase sensitivity, commitment and skill in governmental and non-governmental agencies for the upholding of citizens’ rights;
- To encourage, support and attract the participation of individuals, experts, organizations, civil and private entities to promote public culture, expand public demands, and confront any type of violation of citizens’ rights;
- To take into consideration the principles of non-discrimination and equality of all individuals and groups before the law, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion and socio-political affiliations, and to pursue implementation of this principle by other State branches and entities;
- To resolve to uphold instances of human dignity, and to pursue observance thereof by the three branches of the Stateand institutions, including stringent prohibition of any type of degrading or humiliating treatment of people by authorities and officers;
- To develop procedures and non-judicial methods to counter violations of citizens’ rights, with the objective of facilitating an easy method of raising objections and complaints, and adjudicating them in the shortest possible time;
- To expand studies and scientific and applied research for the purpose of identifying challenges and barriers to the realization of citizens’ rights, for the purpose of finding practical solutions in the Iranian legal system, and adopting corrective and remedial measures;
- To develop quantitative and qualitative indices for the purpose of monitoring and assessing activities of all executive organs in the area of citizens’ rights;
- To support public scrutiny, particularly by public entities and media, in identifying, criticizing and analyzing grounds of violation of citizens’ rights, and preserving the state media environment, particularly the media using public funds, against immoral and irresponsible activities, disinformation, libel and slander, derision, and use of abusive language aimed at undermining the dignity, integrity and reputation of persons;
- To plan and continuously strive, in collaboration with other State branches and sovereign organs, public authorities and non-governmental organizations for establishing coordination and consolidation in observing citizens rights, and in finding appropriate legal strategies;
- To prevent the grounds for violation of citizens’ rights, particularly systematic and recurring violations, using facilities of the executive branch, and in collaboration with other State branches and public and civil entities;
- To mandate the executive officials and authorities to commit to observing citizens’ rights in all planning, policymaking and decisions;
- To take legal action against any abuse of power violating citizens’ rights.
B. Whereas the President is vested with the duty to implement the Constitution and to safeguard, protect and promote freedom, human dignity and the rights of the nation:
- Based on Article 134 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, I declare this “Charter on Citizens’ Rights” to be tantamount to the plan and guideline of the Government for the observance and advancement of the fundamental rights of the nation of Iran;
- I will prepare bills regarding citizens’ rights and submit them to the Islamic Consultative Assembly (the Parliament), and have confidence in the cooperation of other State branches for paving the grounds for their implementation;
- In order to implement the Charter on Citizens’ Rights, I attach serious importance to cooperating, with good and constructive interaction, with the Islamic Consultative Assembly (the Parliament), the Judiciary, the Expediency Council, the Council of Guardians, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting Organization, the Armed Forces and the Police, City and Village Islamic Councils, High Council of Provinces and other bodies;
- I request grand canonical authorities (Grand Ayatollahs), professors of seminaries and universities, specialists, experts, political parties, the media, non-governmental organizations and all citizens to assist the Government and other State branches and sovereign organs, through providing their views and feedback, in the realization and full implementation of the present Charter and in the enhancement and dissemination of citizens’ rights discourse.
- I instruct organs under the Executive Branch to develop the legal and structural grounds and the required cultural and educational endeavors for precise implementation of the Charter on Citizens’ Rights.
- I instruct the organs under the Executive Branch to take action, in collaboration with the non-governmental sector, particularly political parties, institutions and non-governmental organizations, for identifying instances and explaining citizens’ rights within the domain of their activities, responsibilities and discretion; to identify the most significant and common instances of violation of citizens’ rights, and to take legal measures required for realization of these rights, particularly through public education, dissemination of information, capacity building and promoting dialogue and interaction in the public.
- I will take due measures, in collaboration with other State branches, for developing, strengthening and improving the capacities of existing institutions, whether governmental or non-governmental, for advancing citizens’ rights.
- I instruct organs under the Executive Branch to develop and adopt, within six months from the declaration of this Charter, a “Legal System Reform and Development Plan” in the area of their responsibility with emphasis on appropriate realization of citizens’ rights, and submit to the President on an annual basis their periodical reports covering their progress, challenges, barriers and proposed solutions.
- In order to implement the Charter on Citizens’ Rights, I hereby appoint a “Special Assistant to the President in Citizens’ Rights Affairs”.
I trust that with the grace of Almighty God, support of the people, guidance of the Supreme Leader, cooperation of other State branches and coordination among governmental, public and civil entities, we will witness blooming and advancement of citizens’ rights in our beloved country
President of the Islamic Republic of Iran